I love quinoa! This quick and easy recipe is one I developed and have enjoyed preparing. It would work very easily in a dutch oven, inside or outside.
Quinoa is a super food, packed with essential nutrients and protien, and is simple to prepare. According to the Mayo Clinic, quinoa is gluten free which is a nice bonus! Since quinoa doesn’t have much flavor at all, the recipe needs to be well seasoned and contain other ingredients to add flavor as well as color and texture. I named this Quinoa Fiesta because of the bright colors and zip from green chile.
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup quinoa
- 3 cup chicken stock
- 1 can Rotel (or 1 can diced tomatoes and 1/2 cup green chile)
- 12 ounces frozen corn (canned corn works too)
- 1 can black beans
- 2 tablespoons dried chopped chives
- Add canola oil and onion to a 12″ camp Dutch oven over high heat. Saute until onion is translucent, about five minutes.
- Add quinoa, chicken stock, and Rotel. Reduce heat to bring liquid to a slow simmer and then cover. When most of the liquid has reduced and the quinoa opens up, remove from heat and stir in corn and black beans. Let sit for five minutes before serving to let the corn warm up.
- This recipe is wonderful when served hot or cold.
Since quinoa is a complete protien, this recipe can be served as the main dish. However, if you live with a carnivor, it is a lovely side dish to any main dish that has a little spicey kick like southwestern or Tex Mex recipes.
I’d love to hear if you make this recipe!