This is the first time I’ve shared a non-Dutch oven recipe, so it feels a little bit odd as I stray from the main focus of this blog. But in the middle of a Texas-hot summer, this is a great break from charcoal and big black pots. I promise it is a wonderful side dish, perfect for any summertime meal you make with or without charcoal.
- Small, seedless watermelon, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 6 ounces Feta cheese
- Purple onion, sliced thinly
- 3 tablespoons dried, chopped chives
- 2 cups fresh basil, chiffonade ( <— Check out this excellent video to show you how to chiffonade)
- 8 ounces kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
Mix all ingredients together and toss until well incorporated. Chill.
I love the contrasting flavors and textures of the salty cheese, crunchy sweet onions, bright basil, and briny olives all helping the sweet watermelon. So refreshing!